Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fabric Easter Basket Tutorial

Just in time for Easter! I gotta tell you, I'm loving this little basket. It's crocheted using fabric, which works up really quickly, so it's a one nap project - and I'm all about one nap projects.

WHAT YOU NEED:
1 ¾ yards of fabric (this project looks best if you work with a fabric that is printed on both sides, like a cotton broadcloth)
Rotary cutter (you can use scissors, but you might end up using them on yourself by the time you’re done.)
Matching thread
Size N crochet needle
Cutting mat or old cutting board
Basic crocheting skills (this pattern uses slip stitch and single crochet)

SIZE:
This pattern will produce a basket approximately 8 inches wide and 6 inches tall, perfect for a toddler or small child. It can easily be adapted into a larger basket by adding a few stitches to the foundation round.

Lay your fabric out on your cutting mat and cut long 1” strips. These strips are going to be sewn together, so I cut my fabric longways so I’d have less seams throughout my basket.

You’ll end up with a big pile of strips. Head to your sewing machine and sew the strips together at the ends to create one long continuous strip. TIP: I didn’t cut all my fabric at the beginning of this project. I cut about 15 strips at a time, sewed them together and rolled the strip into a ball. Then I’d head back to my mat, cut some more and then keep adding to my ball of fabric. Cutting the fabric is the most tedious part of this project, so this kept me from becoming bored!



Foundation chain: Take your ball of fabric and your crochet needle and LOOSELY chain 5. I used a size N needle, but you could use a larger needle for a larger basket – but I wouldn’t recommend a smaller needle. Join fabric by inserting needle in first chain. Slip stitch.

Row 1: Crochet two SC (single crochet) in each chain around. (2 sc, 2 sc, 2 sc)
NOTE: Loose, loose, loose!

Row 2-4: Crochet one SC in first SC and two SC in next SC around. (1 sc, 2 sc, 1 sc, 2 sc)
NOTE: Do not join each round, just continue around in one continuous round.


Row 5: Crochet one SC in first SC, one SCtog in next two stitches (this is a decrease) around. (1 sc, 1sctog, 1 sc, 1sctog)

NOTE: Row 5 is the first row that decreases the stitch count, so you’re basket should start to curl up on the sides. Click here for a good tutorial on doing this.


Row 6-12: Crochet one SC in each stitch around (sc, sc, sc, sc). Slip stitch to finish.

You’re basket should look something like this:

Now turn the basket inside out, looks much better, right?


HANDLE: Without turning, crochet 1 SC in slip stitch you made at the end of row 12. Chain 20.

Join chain to the opposite side of the basket with a SC.

Crochet another SC at the base of the handle as shown in the picture below.


SC in every chain in the handle across to the other side. SC in basket to finish handle.
Weave in the ends.

Ta-da! If you want to, you can trim some of the longer strings. The basket is soft and flexible, but sturdy enough to hold it's shape.

I added a yarn flower, click here for a gazillion great crochet flower patterns, but it would also look cute with one of these or these.



More cute Easter craftiness over at Sew Dang Cute! Check it out:




Happy crafting!

Molly

12 comments:

  1. Totally makes me wish I'd paid attention when my grandma tried to teach me how to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello there!
    i am new to the sewing world... i am loving learning & trying out new things. i really like following your blog with all the fun tutorials that you post. i love the skirt that you posted last week....
    thank you for sharing your talent!

    katie mcpherson

    p.s. when random people leave comments on my blog i am always curious to put a name with a face, so here i am....
    www.katiesgalleria.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I've got some handy strips, so I'll give it a go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this!! This makes me want to learn how to crochet, and I love the fact that it's a one-napper project!!! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. bellissima idea complimenti ciao mariella

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic idea!! I had no idea what I wanted to do with my sheet yarn, this is perfect for my girls, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you don't mind that I posted about this on my blog. I just couldn't help it. It's just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made two of these for my girls. I really like they way they turned out and am getting complements on Facebook and had to share this blog. Thanks for sharing it to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these baskets and am about to make some for Easter! I was just looking online to get an idea of exactly how much fabric yarn I'd need since I'm going to be using an old sheet and I came across this tutorial for making one continuous strip of fabric: http://www.petalstopicots.com/2012/03/green-crocheting-making-fabric-into.html

    ReplyDelete