Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Covering my bases...

The biggest downside to not finding out the gender of your baby before birth is not being able to buy and make gender-specific baby stuff. I really wanted to make a special blanket for the new baby, but I couldn't decide on a fabric that would work for a boy or a girl. So... I made two!

If it's a boy...

Official "if it's a boy" quilt



Boy Quilt



Boy Quilt

I was inspired by this amazing quilt (it was her "if it's a boy" quilt too!) - and I'm really happy with how my version came out! The fabric is "Make Life" by Sweetwater, and it's the perfect color scheme for the blue room that will become the nursery if it's a boy.

If it's a girl...

Chenille Backed baby quilt


Chenille Baby Blanket



Yummy chenille!

First of all, this might be my favorite fabric ever. It's Amy Butler Water Lilies and I've been hanging on to this large piece for a looong time waiting for a worthy enough project to use it on. I used this tutorial for blanket, which involves hand-made chenille. Even though it has a solid front - this one probably took me about three times as long as the "boy" quilt. But it was SO worth the time. The flannel chenille is super soft and totally worth all the hand cramps i got from cutting all those layers of fabric. I LOVE this blanket.


So whenever this little baby decides to arrive, he or she will have a cozy blanket to snuggle in. Yes, this means I'm still pregnant...what are you waiting on, little one?

Molly

3 comments:

  1. I think I love them both the same. And now, a word to your baby: GET OUT ALREADY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's so hard to choose between these beautiful blankets! I admire women who can do double for their expectant babies when they don't know the gender! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please, please, please tell me you have a baby now.

    ReplyDelete